Cecily's book reviews

Middle Kingdom - Andrea Barrett First person narrative (with flashbacks) of drifting, unfulfilled academic, overweight wife, inappropriately named Grace.

Things are brought to a crux at a conference in China, echoing her bond with her dead Uncle Owen who had strong ties to the place. Not as much about China as I'd hoped (though a fair bit of recent history is thrown in), but the psychological self-analytical slant makes it interesting. However, I didn't really like any of the characters. Even though Grace blames herself for all sorts of things (especially emotionally-related weight problems), it also feels as if she blames all the problems in her life on everyone but herself.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy