Cecily's book reviews

Untold Stories - Alan Bennett Second volume of semi-autobiography, augmented with excerpts of diaries from the last 10 years and background to varoius plays and TV programmes. Lots about his mother's depression and his puberty - the intimacy of revelations perhaps reflecting that he had cancer when he wrote it and maybe thought he wouldn't live to see it published. Also, he's not afraid to show himself in a bad light - eg when he was sometimes unsympathetic to the plight of his parents and other family members. Some desperately poignant observations, which make you want to keep reading. However, in the historical (non-diary) sections, the frequency with which he repeats himself (often within a page or two) and swaps, seemingly arbitrarily, between present and past tense is infuriating and distracting.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy