Cecily's book reviews

The Virgin Blue - Tracy Chevalier Alternating chapters tell the stories of two women, one the distant ancestor of the other, with strange parallels in their lives, exposed as the modern women investigates her ancestry.

The modern story does not ring as true - especially the rapidity with which friendships and extended hospitality occur.

American spelling and (in the old story) use of dashed instead of speech marks was distracting, and oddly, there were several sentences that just didn't make sense, even on rereading.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy