Cecily's book reviews

The House of the Dead - Fyodor Dostoyevsky, David McDuff "Novel" (but reads like memoirs) based on his experiences in a Siberian hard labour camp. Also shades of Robinson Crusoe: self-assurance of his own superiority and the pragmatic and ingenious approach to making the best of things, coupled with earnest self improvement and positive spin (eg "I also particularly enjoyed shovelling snow" - really!?). Although the conditions were dire, there were some unexpected (to me) freedoms and comforts, and some wry humour, so it's brighter than Kafka in many ways. There is a huge "cast", but at least the nomenclature is consistent (unlike C&P).

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy