Cecily's book reviews

Tender Is the Night - F. Scott Fitzgerald Rosemary (young movie star) and Dick and Nicole Diver, all expats in France… Dick originally a psychiatrist and Nicole a young patient - a psychologically unhealthy relationship for both. My version is the original, with time jumps (many editions were chronological). The middle period of the story (the start of the original structure), when Dick first meets Rosemary is somewhat slow. Once you understand more about Dick and Nicole, it gets better. But a bit like Thomas Hardy, some of the characterisation is weak, though there are some vivid descriptions and epithets.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy