Cecily's book reviews

Madame Bovary - Mark Overstall, Malcolm Bowie, Margaret Mauldon, Gustave Flaubert Surprisingly un-Victorian feel to the language (though the atmosphere is decidedly French), but hard to know whether that is original or due to the translation. Vividly describes the anguish of conflicting pulls of heart versus convention and the consequent highs and lows - emotionally and socially. Not at all explicit, and a very harshly moral tale, but caused a scandal when published, presumably because the driving force is a woman's desires rather than a man's.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy