Cecily's book reviews

Red Dust: A Path Through China - Ma Jian, Flora Drew Story of an artist in 80s China, fed up with the restraints of the Party and city, who travels around China.

Although he describes his journey, it all feels very disjointed. Despite some maps, you don't always have enough of an idea where he is (and I have travelled to some of the same places). And there are some significant places he says he goes to, but writes nothing about, such as Lijiang. It left me rather frustrated.

On the positive side, he is always the outsider, and that is how the reader feels too, so that does at least create some empathy.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy