Cecily's book reviews

Astonishing Splashes of Colour - Claire Morrall Focuses on a motherless child/childless mother from a big but emotionally distant family. References to Peter Pan make a rather crass analogy. She is also a synaesthete (though oddly that thread fizzles out as the plot becomes more interesting), and has very little social/self awareness of the consequences of her actions on others. You never really understand any of the characters - and especially not why James loves her. Perhaps that is a deliberate parallel with how little any of the characters know and understand each other, but it makes an unsatisfying and superficial read. Not a bad book, but certainly undeserving of its place on the Booker Prize shortlist.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy