Cecily's book reviews

The Orchid Thief: A True Story of Beauty and Obsession - Susan Orlean The basis for Charlie Kaufman's film "Adaptation". It is the story of the orchid obsessive John Laroche, and of orchid obsessives generally, with some interesting biology and history of orchids. There is also far more detail about Florida land reclamation, Indian history and property scams is relevant to the Laroche story that the book is supposedly about. A disjointed collection of vaguely related essays, rather than a coherent book.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy