Cecily's book reviews

A Revolution Of The Sun - Tim Pears Disparate, intriguing characters, with some history of each, culminating in their lives being gradually drawn together, even though (or because?) all are somewhat marginalised socially - albeit in very different ways. Knowing something of the denouement makes the plot rather contrived. The writing style is distinctly different from Fallen Leaves or Land of Plenty. Minor punctuation is sometimes omitted and it switches disconcertingly to the present tense for some passages. Worse, he uses the first person for only some bits of one character's story (which turn out to be diary entries). Also uses the word "insinuate" ludicrously and distractingly frequently, often in slightly non-standard ways! Very occasional dash of magical realism - just to confuse things.

Fascinating, despite the irritations, largely because of the insights into the hugely different worlds each protagonist comes from (in terms of family/relationships, class, wealth, work, education, (dis)ability/health and mental health, politics, race, drugs etc).

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy