Cecily's book reviews

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - Lisa See First person tale a Chinese girl in mid 19th century: poverty, footbinding, marriage and particularly sisterhood/laotong: a legalistic long-term exclusive "old-same" friendship with another girl (Snowflower). Also about nu shu, the secret language only known by women. Interesting, but annoying that it contradicts itself (eg mother illiterate, but within 15 pages it's mentioned that she wrote something for grandmother's funeral) and elsewhere, but gets better after that. The story turns round part way though and you see different sides to the main characters, which keeps it interesting.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy