Cecily's book reviews

Dr. Thorne - Anthony Trollope, Ruth Rendell The 3rd Barchester novel, based in Greshamsbury, rather than Barchester. The plot is rather too predictable from quite early on. It has another feisty heroine (Mary Thorne), as well as the unconventional Miss Dunstable, contrasted with and the grand and conventional de Courcys. Dr Thorne is explicitly the hero (as stated in one of Trollope's asides to his readers), but although he acts selflessly, he does not always act well, especially re his divided financial loyalties re Squire Gresham and Sir Roger.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy