Cecily's book reviews

SPOILER ALERT!
Mr. Golightly's Holiday - Salley Vickers Fable with an old-fashioned feel (like Mr Golightly), though set in the present. Effective evocation of village life and characters, though inevitably there is a higher than average proportion of "interesting" characters. Some of the metaphors are trying too hard; it was described by one reviewer as like reading pot-pourri. Rather crass in places, eg the main character's name, the way it refers to The Catastrophe at regular intervals (as if to built up suspense, lest you hadn't noticed there were reasons for Mr Golightly's escape to the countryside) and the names and occupations of the couple at the end. The final revelations seem quaintly conventional at first thought, but are actually quite controversial (eg his original book being a work of dramatic fiction, his disinterest in church and even prayer, and the implication that his son's death should not have happened).

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy