Cecily's book reviews

Unspeak: How Words Become Weapons, How Weapons Become a Message, and How That Message Becomes Reality - Steven Poole How clever choice of words can become subliminal propaganda. For example, it charts the deliberate switch to "climate change", because it sounds less alarming than "global warming"; talks about the use of "pro life" rather than "anti abortion", as no one wants to claim to be anti-life; using "intelligent design" to rebadge creationism and sneak it past the US constitution's separation of church and state and so on. Mostly things I'd considered before, but with lots of detailed background info. It does become a bit of a rant at times, but all very thought provoking.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy