Cecily's book reviews

A Start In Life - Anita Brookner A tale of how literature can ruin one's life? Like many of Brookner's books, the time period feels loose, but that doesn't really matter. It's a (mostly) sad tale of an eccentric and dysfunctional family, especially their only child, mainly in her teens and beyond as she tries to make her own life, via studying and latterly teaching about the women in Balzac's novels. The knowingness of others (in her life and the fiction she reads) is an interesting counterpoint to her own naivety.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy