Cecily's book reviews

The Daydreamer - Ian McEwan A collection of related stories/chapters, telling incidents from the life of a boy of 10 - 11. Peter is a daydreamer and thus the boundaries between fact and fiction are often intriguingly blurred. But 3 of the seven stories are body-swaps and you guess the gist of the one called “Vanishing Cream” from its title, so although the characters are quite good and the storytelling somewhat original, the stories themselves are not. The one called “The Bully” would work well as a standalone piece and could make a useful talking point for children involved in (either side) of bullying. This could easily be read by children Peter's age and a little younger, but is meant to be profound enough to appeal to adults; whilst I would have enjoyed reading it to my son, he’s now too old, and I wouldn’t really recommend it as an adult book.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy