Cecily's book reviews

An Accidental Man - Iris Murdoch A complex book with many characters, not one of whom is both sane and likeable, and many who are neither! There is no single main character or even a main plot, yet lots happens (which makes you keep reading), but in some ways, nothing does (which makes it frustrating).

An odd mixture of conventional narrative, sections of correspondence and quickfire unattributed and disjointed dialog at parties. The latter two styles felt like a shortcut to move the story along. I also found the repeated use of "someone and me" was annoyingly distracting.

Overall, it feels quite experimental, but on the other hand, like many Murdoch books, there is a significant Svengaliesque figure. In this case, there is arguably more than one, but as a reader, I found it hard to be caught in their web or really understand why others did.

I enjoyed it, but find it hard to pinpoint why.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy