Cecily's book reviews

A Closed Eye - Anita Brookner This novel is an exquisite hymn to loneliness. Every character in it, however inconsequential, is lonely in their own way. It is also quite analytical, describing in some detail, the main characters' inner thoughts, torments and motivations etc - even when they are not conscious of them themselves.

The first two chapters cover the end of the story, then it tells the story chronologically until it reaches the end again. Consequently, Very early on, you learn that a significant character will die. Obviously this affects the way you read the rest of the book and whilst I can't decide whether I'd have preferred it if I had not known, it is interesting wondering how different it could have been.

Whilst it is not a cheerful book, neither is it as depressing as it may sound!

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy