Cecily's book reviews

Five Miles from Outer Hope - Nicola Barker Story of a Cornish summer, told by a 16 year old girl and set in 1981. Although I was that age in that year, her character, style, family and life could hardly be more different. She is the middle of 5 children in a hippie, semi-nomadic family, with many strange quirks, some individual and some shared. She is a giant, her father almost a dwarf (or whatever is the PC term), her mother is away and a weird South African lad comes to stay. It is supposedly about their teenage flirtation, but it's wider than that. She has a very "in your face" but conversational style which is meant to sound authentic, but I found rather irritating and overdone. I didn't warm to any of the characters and even allowing for the context and setting, found the whole thing too ludicrous to be credible or very interesting. Fortunately it doesn't take long to read!

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy