Cecily's book reviews

The Needle's Eye - Margaret Drabble, Andrea Barrett As implied by the biblical illusion in the title, this is about people uncomfortable with wealth and the practical and emotional hurdles they go through to try to find happiness.

The main character, Rose, is an heiress trying to dispose of her money and also fighting a custody battle against her ex-husband. Simon, the lawyer who befriends her (not her actual lawyer for the case) has a similar distaste for money, but for very different reasons. There is plenty of thoughtful pondering by both, and the complex dynamics between Rose, her ex, Simon and his wife is intriguing and often unexpected.

When I first read this, maybe 15 years ago, I was struck by the similarities between Rose and someone I know. Rereading it, but with a more mature eye, that still holds true and gives it an extra edge for me, but I'd still recommend it to those that don't know anyone so like Rose.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy