Cecily's book reviews

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - Dave Eggers Quite an exhausting read! It's the story of a twenty something budding writer who raises his much younger brother when both parents die in quick succession.

He juggles the responsibilities of parenthood with the irresponsibilities of youth, balances grief with the desire for fun as he and 'Topher grow up together and he also tries to get his career off the ground and having a sex life as well. Add in plenty of Californian craziness and commentary on himself and the book (footnotes tell you when he thinks it’s below par) and it's quite a mixture.

It makes you want to laugh and cry (sometimes at the same time) and is unlike anything else I have read, but none the worse for that.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy