Cecily's book reviews

The Global English Style Guide: Writing Clear, Translatable Documentation for a Global Market - John R. Kohl Aimed at technical authors, this is an excellent guide to writing English in a way that is easy for non-native speakers to understand and for translators to translate.

However, it also reprises many rules and guidelines of English grammar that would be useful to a wider audience.

Although much of the guidance just reinforced what I already know and do, it was good to have it crystallised, aided by lots of clear practical examples and the fact it is easy to find information.

Major themes include:
* Don't make any change that would sound unnatural to a native speaker if it’s just to follow the guidelines.
* Use correct, standard grammar and punctuation.
* Consistency is essential.
* Keep related sentence components together.
* Watch for ambiguity, especially in noun phrases.
* Use syntactic cues.