Cecily's book reviews

Digging to America - Anne Tyler A story of cultural difference, fitting in (and not) and trying too hard not to offend. In America, an Iranian and an American Guardian-reading (or equivalent) family adopt Korean girls on the same day, and thus three generations of both families are drawn together, despite their differences in lifestyle, parenting attitudes, family, traditions etc. Towards the end, and with no explanation, an overlong chapter about giving up pacifiers is written in the style of a child. “Jin-Ho’s mother” this and “Jin-Ho’s father” that, sounding like a Janet and John book. An easy and enjoyable page-turner, and the most touching and perhaps most significant strand of the story is not the one you think it’s going to be.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy