Cecily's book reviews

Enclave - Kit Reed A moderately interesting premise, written in a basic and repetitive way, that is ultimately far too predictable.

A former marine takes 100 problem children of the super rich (plus various staff) to live in a totally isolated, self-sufficient former monastery on Mount Clothos, to avoid the coming apocalypse. Or not. He "doesn't so much believe in God; he wants to be a god."

The children are dragooned into submission in very primitive circumstances by "the protective power of control" and everything is OK, till everything goes wrong: one sort of dire bug takes out the IT infrastructure and another sort puts large numbers in the infirmary.

The story is told mainly via the inner thoughts of some of the main characters, sometimes in the first person and sometimes in the third. The problem is, bar a self-conscious peppering of valley-girl "like" for a few of them, all the characters sound the same and it is all so plodding that some passages are more like a Ladybird book for beginner readers. "He's never seen this much green in his life. He loves these growing things. He loves them so much!" It also repeats itself too much: I lost count of the number of times I was told, in very similar words, that everyone at Clothos had a story and was there for a reason. Somehow it manages to be disjointed as well. For example, an early chapter focuses on a transgender child, who is then not mentioned AT ALL for another 150+ pages.

It is clearly meant to be a mystery/thriller, and I stuck with it because I hoped it would surprise me (and it was a quick, easy read). It isn't and didn't.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy