Cecily's book reviews

Evolving English: One Language, Many Voices - David Crystal The book of the exhibition being held at the British Library. It is unlike any other book of the history of the English language because every point it makes is illustrated with a high quality photo, whether it be a Medieval manuscript or political poster. In fact, they're easier to see here than they were in the exhibition.

The sections on sign language and swearing are not in the book, which makes me wonder if they were late additions to the exhibition and this doesn't have as much detail as a more conventional book, but it is more vivid and memorable, and presents a useful contrast.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy