Cecily's book reviews

Starter For Ten - David Nicholls This is set at Bristol University in one of the years I was studying there (which is why I read it) and is presumably somewhat autobiographical as the author was there at that time. However, bar the odd mention of certain music, it wasn't particularly comparable to my experience or people I knew.

It is the story of Brian's first couple of terms at university, during which he fulfils an ambition to be on the University Challenge (TV quiz) team. However, the quiz is just a literary hook to portray the struggle of an awkward, naive working class boy, still grieving for the father who died 6 years earlier, to fit in with a very different crowd. Other than being a socialist, he wants to be all things to all men - and women - but invariably gets it wrong. His inner monologue is documented too (as in Peep Show and The Inbetweeners on TV), which gives plenty of scope for humour.

It's all quite amusing, but it's a quick and shallow read.

Now off to try Brett Easton Ellis's take on US college life in a similar period. That should be a contrast!

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy