Cecily's book reviews

Out of This World: Science Fiction but not as you know it - Mike Ashley A very faithful version of the exhibition at the British Library (and a good substitute if you can't visit). It is lavishly illustrated with covers and plates from books in the exhibition.

It looks at the history of sci fi, chronologically (from Homer's female robots to cyberpunk and Avatar) and also thematically (alien worlds, time and parallel worlds, virtual worlds, future worlds, the end of the world, and the perfect world). It constantly puts stories in the political and social context that gave rise to them and turns them round to ask what they tell us about people at that time and also about ourselves.

It was good to see firm favourites, but also to be introduced to new authors, or even to learn more about ones that I knew about.

On a trivial note, I was intrigued to see the earlier term scientifiction used in the 1930s (funny that it never caught on) and William Gibson's definition of cyberspace as "consensual hallucination".

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy