Cecily's book reviews

The Millstone (Harvest Book) - Margaret Drabble This is the story of a young academic in the mid 1960s who finds herself accidentally pregnant, and single.

I first read this covertly in my early teens, having been shocked to find it on my (very conservative) mother's shelves. I remember being very moved by it, though too naive and inexperienced to relate to much of it. Nearly 30 years and one (planned) child later, I found it an excellent piece of writing, albeit for somewhat different reasons.

Times may have changed in terms of the social acceptability of single parenthood, but it all rings very true for its time and many of her feelings around the time of the birth are pretty universal.

It is a good mix of funny, thoughtful and sad, and avoids moralising, sentimentality or tidy plotting.

It is interesting to compare it with Lynne Reid Banks' The L Shaped Room, which is a similar situation, written and set at roughly the same time (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/132028303) and also
McEwan's Chesil Beach (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/23326931), which is a very different story, but which also features a woman struggling with sexual intimacy, against the zeitgeist of the "swinging" 60s.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy