Cecily's book reviews

Linger Awhile - Russell Hoban "Suspension of disbelief is the first step in doing anything hitherto thought impossible."

A quick and mildly amusing male fantasy gone wrong, with a dash of sci fi, detective novel and quasi-Buddhist philosophy.

An old man falls in love with an actress from a black and white cowboy film and gets someone to bring her to life by dissolving particles of her (from video) in a "suspension of disbelief", adding it to a primordial soup and zapping with electricity. The problem is, she needs blood to gain colour and stay alive, which causes problems for those who created her and comes to the attention of the police.

I like the idea that "I've never read the whole Heart Sutra, but if form is emptiness, then not reading it is the same as reading it", but the best line has to be, "Her feet looked open minded."

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy