Cecily's book reviews

Officers And Gentlemen - Evelyn Waugh Part 2 of Sword of Honour.

In many ways this is very similar to the previous book about Guy Crouchback of the Halberdiers: soldiers being resigned to the comic ineptitude of their commanders and all sorts of intriguing characters.

However, this volume has more about the tactics and experience of war, so that I did slightly lose track in places (despite all the historical footnotes) and less outright comedy, less of life back home, less Catholic angst (less Catholicism altogether) etc.

The loucheness in Alexandria was good, and accidental heroics of blowing up a railway in occupied France because they failed to find the Channel Island they were looking for were fun, but overall, I enjoyed it less.

Let's hope part 3 reverts to form.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy