Cecily's book reviews

Parents and Children - Ivy Compton-Burnett Lots of very mannered, self-consciously clever dialogue - almost like reading a Wildean play script. Superb descriptions of people's tone of voice, mannerisms, emotions, motivation, inner fears, hidden agendas etc. Not something one can skim. Although lots of dialogue, it is not always immediately obvious who is saying what. Most characters are cold and detached, with not much plot happening and nothing resolved at the end.

Large, three-generation (Edwardian?) family, with children from 3 to 24. Father apparently dies in S America, though no one seems particularly upset. No hero or central character, not even many very sympathetic ones. Bleak in a nice way?!

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy