Cecily's book reviews

The Trial - Edwin Muir, Willa Muir, Max Brod, Frank Kafka Quintissential Kafka, apparently prompted by an unexpected interrogation in a Berlin hotel room re his intentions re Felice, conducted by her and a couple of friends. Officials of a vague and unspecified court arrest K for an unspecified crime - but he never queries the charge. An endless stream of futile investigations and obscure legal practices ensue. A metaphor for exploring the meaning (or otherwise) of life, the burden of duty, and struggling to find salvation aided by the intercessions of dubious religions/priests? K’s helplessness is emphasised on occasions such as when he physically collapsed (at the law offices), when he can't understand an Italian dialect, and when the cathedral gets dark in the middle of the day.

The Dream and Before the Law were published separately in a collection of short stories known as A Country Doctor, which was then published with The Metamorphosis. See my Kafka-related bookshelf (http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1199525-cecily?format=html&order=a&shelf=kafka).

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy