Cecily's book reviews

Amerika - Franz Kafka The first chapter (The Stoker) was published as a short story and is included in The Metamorphosis. The usual themes of alienation/rejection, aspiring to please/fit in, being bemused in unfamiliar territory are there, but it is generally more optimistic and realistic than his other novels, though the final chapter (about the Nature Theatre of Oklahoma) is much more surreal, and doesn't really seem to "fit" with the rest of the novel.

See my Kafka-related bookshelf for other works by and about Kafka (http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1199525-cecily?format=html&order=a&shelf=kafka).

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy