Cecily's book reviews

Plays 2: Kafka's Dick, The Insurance Man, The Old Country, An Englishman Abroad, A Question of Attribution (Faber Contemporary Classics) - Alan Bennett I love Alan Bennett (and Arnold Bennett) and I love Kafka, but in very different ways, so I was wondering how a combination would work. Very well, I'm pleased to report.

Kafka's Dick: Short play by Alan Bennett about Kafka and especially his relationships with Brod and his father and the effect on his philosophy and self-esteem etc. Some excellent insights (eg in The Trial Joseph K is accused of a crime actually committed by a house painter, whereas in Crime & Punishment (which Kafka enjoyed) a house painter is wrongly accused of a crime actually committed by Raskolnikov). Also very witty and sometimes surreal. Prefaced by a good essay about Kafka, by AB (repeated in Writing Home, under the title Kafka in Las Vegas).

Insurance Salesman: Short play by Alan Bennett imagining the victim of a worker in a dye factory coming to Kafka's insurance company, but failing in his claim. To help him out, K gets him a job in his uncle's factory, but since that is an asbestos factory, that is ultimately the cause of his death.

See my Kafka-related bookshelf for other works by and about Kafka (http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1199525-cecily?format=html&order=a&shelf=kafka).

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy