Cecily's book reviews

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee Motherless tomboy heroine (aren't they always?) growing up in a liberal middle class family the deep south in 1930s. Her mother is dead and her father a laid back but principled lawyer. Race is an important theme of this book, yet it's not always immediately obvious who is black and who is white. Told through the eyes of the precocious girl, aged about 8. Some echoes with McCullers (eg "Member of the Wedding", http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/23324271).

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy