Cecily's book reviews

Twilight - Stephenie Meyer, Stephenie Meyer I made a £3 donation to The British Heart Foundation, and in return, I received a copy of this (in)famous book, so that I could judge it for myself, without contributing to Meyer's bulging coffers.

I was disappointed - not because it was tosh (which it is), but because it was nowhere near as bad as I expected, though it doesn't exactly sparkle, either.

It is not my sort of book at all - not even when I was in the target age group - but the six chapters and numerous other snippets I read were not terribly written (though I certainly wouldn't say it was well written, either).

I found the dull but excitable, and not especially intelligent teenage first-person narration infuriating, but nevertheless plausible.

It was very clichéd teenage stuff, with all the subtlety of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. But lots of people like that, and why shouldn't they?

Overall, I'm no longer baffled at its success (though remain surprised at the number of older adults that enjoy it).

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy