Cecily's book reviews

Murder in the Dark: Short Fictions and Prose Poems - Margaret Eleanor Atwood The prose poems are eloquent and thought provoking and, as with "real" poetry, one has to be careful not to read them too quickly: "I forgot what things were called and saw instead what they are".

A couple of the childhood ones are charming (especially collecting all sort of dangerous things to make one big bucket of "poison", without any idea of what to use it for).

As the book progresses, the topics tend to get darker and more of them focus on the balance of power between men and women. She's wearing her "feminist" label more obviously than in other books of hers that I have read. "Simmering", is an amusing extrapolation of the effect of role reversal as men take over domestic duties, pushing women out. I liked the phrase "the man through which all men can be forgiven" in another, but many of these were too angry for my taste.

Overall, a very mixed bag, but each element is short and the whole book is slim, so it can be a quick read, or one to dip in and out of.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy