Cecily's book reviews

Men Without Women - Ernest Hemingway I'm not especially keen on short stories: if they're good, I can't read too many in quick succession because it's disorienting, and if they're not good... I don't really want to read them.

It may be blasphemous to many, but this collection was in the latter camp, hence it took me a long time to read a very short book. I just couldn't engage with the characters, plots (I hate bullfighting and boxing, which set me against a couple of them) or writing style, the latter being mostly such short sentences that it was almost like reading a child's book. In other hands, such sentences might be pleasingly spare, but here, they just annoyed me.

I get that there was lots of symbolism and big themes in these little nuggets, but for me, there are more enjoyable ways to consider them.

I was going to write a bit about each story, but I don't really feel inspired to do so.

On the plus side, my second-hand copy smelled slightly of smoke, which seemed appropriate.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy