Cecily's book reviews

The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen Epic American family saga of a moderately dysfunctional family, loosely based around whether they will return to the family home for one last Christmas together. Some of the shifts from one section/viewpoint/situation to another take a bit longer to settle into than others, and the Lithuanian plotline stretches credulity a little. Wonderful descriptions and insights into people's fears, behaviour and motivation - especially when one inevitably sees parallels with characters in the book and people one knows. Funny and desperately sad; compulsive and satisfying to the end - and it is a cleverly balanced ending with just the right mixture between happy and sad, loose and tidied up ends.

For a far better review than mine, see Kelly's: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/411211611?utm_medium=email&utm_source=friend_updates

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy