Cecily's book reviews

A History of the World in 100 Objects - Neil MacGregor This does exactly what it says in its title. And it does so elegantly, entertainingly, educationally and beautifully.

However, it was not originally an illustrated book, but a BBC Radio 4 series! The idea of doing such an apparently visual series on the radio was extraordinary, brave... crazy even, but it worked brilliantly, and that is all down to MacGregor himself.

The radio programme was so good, I wondered if the book could compete, but it does, though if I hadn't been able to imagine his voice in my head as I read it, my enjoyment might be slightly diminished.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy