Cecily's book reviews

Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Constance Garnett Dickensian, and a clear influence on Kafka's Trial and Castle (Dostoyevski was an author he liked, according to Brod). Grinding poverty and depravation; alcoholism; criminality; prostitution; love; moral, social and political dilemmas; tests of friendship and family ties; the power of guilt - all the big themes, though not much about religion. Twists in the plot, especially towards the end, echo Raskolnikov's own confusion about whether or not he's mad/paranoid, the implications of what he's done, and, like a detective novel, even though he/we think we know what happened, he/we don't know who else knows - or what (or why) they are going to do about it. At a trivial level, it is often confusing which character is which, as most have first, middle and surnames, used in various permutations, as well as an abbreviated form/nickname, which can be equally like the proper name of more than one character! Apart from that, it's not "heavy" in the way one might fear.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy