Cecily's book reviews

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian - Marina Lewycka Adult sisters warring over parent(s), money, step mother etc. The extracts about the history of tractors are a gimmick that ought to have more relevance to justify its inclusion; the characters and plot are unoriginal and superficial and the attempts at humour feel lame.

I can't figure out the target audience, how was it shortlisted for the Orange prize (just a pun on Ukraine's Orange Revolution?) or selected as Radio 4’s Book at Bedtime?

An adult plot, but written with limited vocab (except for "susurration"), short sentences, short paragraphs and short chapters. It would be ideal for an adult literacy or TEFL group. In contrast, some YA books (e.g. Harry Potter) require more time, language skill and thought than this. A beach read, perhaps?

Can anyone enlighten me as to why it's so popular - what aspect have I overlooked?

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy