Cecily's book reviews

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat - Oliver Sacks I picked this up at a railway station, shortly after it was published, not quite knowing what to expect.

All these years later, I remember it well. It was my first introduction to all sorts of conditions that are now more widely known to the general public, and left me amazed at the power and quirks of the human brain.

Funny, tragic, but never sentimental, Sacks writes with engaging charm.

That said, one can't help feeling a twinge of guilt, perhaps like a spectator at a Victorian freak show, even though the cases have been anonymised and the whole tone is so charming, affectionate and educational that overall, it's surely a force for good.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy