Cecily's book reviews

The Member of the Wedding - Carson McCullers Lonely motherless tomboy confronting sudden adolescence, prompted by her older brother's wedding. Some similarities with "To Kill a Mocking Bird" (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/23326617) - in terms of character, situation, location etc. Very evocative re hot Southern summer etc.

McCullers has a very consistent voice, and yet somehow her books are distinct from each other. In particular, lyrical and more literal musical aspects to much of her writing (reflecting the fact she very nearly became a classical pianist).

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy