Cecily's book reviews

The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories - Tim Burton A short collection of macabre poems, illustrated like a children's book, but aimed more at the YA market, and delightful for dark-thinking adults as well.

There are lots of gory things about eyes, stories of non-human children (toxic, half robot, half oyster etc) and a most inappropriate present from Santa.

Occasionally the rhythm doesn't quite work at the first attempt, but even so, it's great fun.

It is strongly reminiscent of Hilaire Belloc's "Cautionary Tales for Children" (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/47045092), but VERY obviously the work of Tim Burton. His wiry, but colour, illustrations, perfectly complement his dark words.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy