Cecily's book reviews

Jackson's Dilemma - Iris Murdoch Her last book (published in '95). Apparently set in modern times (eg computers self-consciously mentioned in passing), but very old fashioned feel. A bride disappears on the eve of her wedding, leaving friends and family devastated and perplexed, with hurt and mysteries in their own past to face up to.

Doesn't flow quite as well as some of her earlier works; in particular, it is somewhat disjointed and, especially towards the end, rather rushed with sections of very theatrical dialogue, which don't ring true.

Linguistic analysis re her Alzheimers has shown how limited the vocabulary and how simple the sentences are compared with her earlier works: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/news-releases-archive/murdoch.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy