Cecily's book reviews

The Red Thread: A Love Story - Nicholas Jose A Chinese antique dealer in contemporary Shanghai finds a passionate connection with a young Australian artist. All very lovely: beautifully written, but nothing to make it stand out from lots of other books. But they realise their lives mirror those in four chapters of a 19th century autobiography, Six Chapters of a Floating Life. As the story twists and becomes darker, they try to find the missing chapters in a quest to discover and maybe control their fate.

The first four chapters of Six Chapters really do exist (the Penguin translation is called Six Records of a Floating Life: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/36222150). Jose quotes from it as he deftly weaves the two stories together. Note that there is a third book this could be confused with (and which I haven't read): The Red Thread: A Chinese Tale of Love and Fate in 1830s Singapore, by Dawn Farnham.

I confess I have a soft spot for books which evoke memories of travels I have made in China, but by any measure, this is a wonderful book, barely 200 pages and a compelling read, but hard to categorise: romance, modern myth, thriller, magical realism, mystery... but really, such labels shouldn't matter.

For a far more profound review, see Ian's: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/151922072

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy