Cecily's book reviews

Getting Rich First

Getting Rich First: Life in a Changing China - Duncan Hewitt We travelled in China in 1992 and again in 2008. Whilst we knew the country had changed a great deal in that time, we were staggered by the scale of the changes (not merely tower blocks in international cities) in less than a generation. This book, written by a British journalist who lived and travelled in China, examines the upheavals over a similar period, with more background detail than we accumulated in 3 weeks, but which chimes very closely with our impressions.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy