Cecily's book reviews

Music, Food and Love

Music, Food and Love - Guo Yue;Clare Farrow Memoirs of a Chinese child, growing up in a musical family during the cultural revolution, and developing a passion for cooking, partly as that was not ideologically controlled. Two thirds are memoirs, one third is recipes (referred to in the memoirs, so you get their context). The rather wooden style dilutes his passion and there are occasionally awkward musical metaphors, almost added as an afterthought - often the same one (the "percussive" sound of finely chopped food being added to hot oil).

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy