Cecily's book reviews

Strong Motion

Strong Motion - Jonathan Franzen Primarily a thriller focusing on seismology, big corporations and Christian fundamentalists, but with a love story or two, and various dysfunctional family relationships, including some amusing sub plots. I think it’s main weakness is pandering to the American need for convenient endings. On a more trivial note, as a British reader, some characters' names are initially misleading as they are so far from the stereotype of that name - Eileen in particular.

Nevertheless, it’s a good story, with some wonderful writing, but at times Franzen’s self-indulgent riffs are excessive, the oddest being a 3 page description of the daily life of an anthropomorphised racoon.

The Illustrated Gormenghast Trilogy